Executive Development Program (EDP)
What Is EDP?
The Executive Development Program is a flexible, individualized process for managers, executives, and other valuable contributors who seek development and career growth in general, or who have specific performance improvement needs. The purpose of the process is to help participants change behavior, learn new skills, or prepare themselves for new assignments or increased responsibilities.
We know the half-life of a technical employee’s knowledge base but what about the half-life of a manager’s knowledge and skill base? As we race ahead in the information age, management’s needs for development and renewal are significantly increasing. Today’s leaders are expected to lead their organizations with greater self-management and increased flexibility to meet niche customer needs while also putting in place effective management systems. Leaders are expected to accomplish these goals with far fewer supporting managers than in the past. In addition, they are expected to create a shared vision for the future and to deliver it all with increased operational effectiveness. To meet this challenge they will need the best assessment, development, and coaching possible, not the methods and tools from the 70′s and 80′s.
People Who Can Benefit from This Process
- Managers and executives who want to shift their management approach from the traditional hierarchical model to a more facilitative, change-agent oriented approach.
- Young managers who need rounding-out experiences or need to address a specific development area or leadership improvement issue.
- Managers who are technically competent but want to develop a wider base of leadership skills.
- Mature, successful leaders who have not taken time over the years to work on the shadow side of their leadership style.
- People who are perceived as having some development needs but whose needs have not been clearly identified or addressed.
Leaders obtain a mirror of how others see them compared to how they see themselves. The successful EDP process results in better matches between individual talents and organizational roles, improved leadership skills, and contributors who are better prepared to meet the current and future challenges of the organization.